Masters Home Improvement Wood Procurement Policy – Statement of Intent
Forests are a critical element of the global environment upon which human life depends. We are concerned about the protection of the environment and recognise through the products that we sell, that we can play an important role in the future of global forests.
Masters Home Improvement’s long-term goal is to ensure that all timber and timber containing products sold and utilised in our operations, originate from well-managed & sustainable forests.
In achieving this objective Masters will,
- Select preferentially fit for purpose timber and timber containing products from independently certified, sustainable, well-managed forests. Preference will generally be given to products sourced from globally recognised sustainable forestry certification schemes such as PEFC which promote sustainability of forests and responsible forestry practices.
- Not purchase for sale or consume through its operations illegally logged timber.
- Work with all suppliers to achieve continually improved practices in maintaining and harvesting forests.
- Develop consumer programs that improve the efficient use of timber, such as timber re-use & recycling.
- Work with suppliers to increase the supply of timber substitutes, where substitute products are equally fit for purpose and enjoy greater environmental benefits than the timber that they replace.
- Develop timber waste management reduction programs, particularly with pallet, packaging, cover and strapping materials.
- Educate all stakeholders of the environmental benefits of sustainably managed forest products and industries.
In order to accomplish our goal, Masters will support the work of organisations that help to improve forest management practices worldwide.
Additionally, we work in conjunction with our suppliers to continually improve the volume of timber and standard of certification achieved for products consumed and sold throughout our stores.